Recent News

By Tag

See all

By Month

See all

AEE Applauds Passage of Calif. 100% Clean Energy Law

Posted by Advanced Energy Economy on Aug 29, 2018

AEE Applauds Passage of California Law Requiring 100% Clean Energy by 2045

AEE praises State Sen. De Léon for his leadership over two years moving the bill through the legislative process.

The bill requires the state to meet 100% of its energy needs from clean, zero-carbon resources by 2045

SACRAMENTO, Aug. 29, 2018 — National business group Advanced Energy Economy (AEE) applauded California legislators for passing SB 100*, after the Senate voted 25-13 today following approval by the Assembly late Tuesday. Supported by AEE, the bill now goes to Governor Brown for his signature.

The legislature-approved bill requires California’s electricity providers to achieve a 100% clean and zero-carbon goal by 2045, increasing the current Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS) to 60% by 2030 and requiring the remaining 40% to be met by all eligible zero-carbon emitting resources. Authored by State Senator and former Pro Tem Kevin De Léon, this bill will make California the second state after Hawaii to set a 100% clean energy goal.

“This is a huge victory for California, as the legislature is setting the course for a secure, clean, affordable energy future for its citizens and our nation,” said Amisha Rai, Senior Director of California Policy for AEE. “We congratulate Sen. De Léon for his resolve and leadership on this bill. The advanced energy industry stands ready to make a 100% clean energy grid a reality.”

The leadership in the state Assembly was equally important and critical to getting SB 100 to the finish line. The bill gained passage with the leadership of Speaker Anthony Rendon and Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez Fletcher managing the bill on the floor. The bill received 44 “AYE” votes in the Assembly. The final vote count included support from Assemblywoman Catharine Baker, a Republican legislator who represents the Tri-Valley region of the Bay Area.

AEE supported SB 100, along with several other bills this session, including EV charging infrastructure bill AB 2127*, passed late Monday, and a bill to expand the market for advanced energy through an integrated Western grid that is still pending.

The bill passage came soon after AEE’s Aug. 8 Pathway to 2050 conference and Aug. 7 Lobby Day at the state Capitol, and release of the latest employment data showing that California has more than 542,000 people working in advanced energy — a figure that exceeds the number of workers in hospitals (395,419), and nearly twice as many as those working at supermarkets and grocery stores (297,167) across the state. Companies surveyed expect their hiring to result in job growth of 10% across the state in 2018. California is the clear leader in advanced energy employment nationally, with more than one in every six of the 3.4 million people working in U.S. advanced energy located in California.

Earlier this year, AEE members met with gubernatorial campaigns ahead of the state primary, and released a policy roadmap to the campaigns of Democratic nominee Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom and Republican nominee John Cox outlining how advanced energy can drive economic growth in the state.

*Note: Access the latest bill language and action including votes, via AEE’s PowerSuite Tool with a trial subscription. Complimentary permanent access available for credentialed press; contact

About Advanced Energy Economy 
Advanced Energy Economy is a national association of businesses that are making the energy we use secure, clean, and affordable. Advanced energy encompasses a broad range of products and services that constitute the best available technologies for meeting energy needs today and tomorrow. AEE’s mission is to transform public policy to enable rapid growth of advanced energy businesses. AEE and its state and regional partner organizations are active in 27 states across the country, representing more than 1,000 companies and organizations in the advanced energy industry. Learn more at and track our latest news @AEEnet

Media Contact
Monique Hanis,, 202-391-0884 
Amisha Rai,, 415-640-7908

Topics: Press Releases